Sunday 4 March 2012

Customer Service - HA!!

Today's rant is about shop assistants. The ones that 'serve' you while ignoring you. I have had a girl supposedly serving me in Boots whilst carrying on a conversation with a colleague about what she did with Wayne last night.... As if I wanted to know.

What I want is someone who greets me politely, rings up my items and looks at me when telling me what the total is. And says thank you afterwards. If customers weren't buying stuff then she wouldn't have a job!

I also hate the way most shops teach their staff to give change. I would like my change counted back to me. Coins first so I can drop them in my purse then the notes and the receipt. The way staff are taught is to hand you the notes with the receipt on top and the coins balanced on that. So you need two hands to sort it out and put it away when of course your other hand contains your purse, handbag, goods....

I will say that my local Waitrose has very pleasant, polite staff who also take notice of the customer - they still do the thing with the change though.

I worked on my Dad's stall for 17 years and in various other retail situations and I always counted the change back to the customer so they could see they were getting the right change.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. Maybe the act of counting out change is a subconscious attempt to prove to the buyer that you're an honest saleswoman. In branded shops (you'd think) that impulse would be taken away, and to do otherwise might be seen as unprofessional. Or insinuating that the customer can't count. I dunno. There's a starchiness surrounding money in this country, isn't there.

    ReplyDelete